Share this article:
Share on FacebookShare on TumblrTweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+Share on LinkedInDigg thisPin on PinterestBuffer this pageShare on StumbleUponShare on Reddit

Have you fulfilled the third month of your pregnancy? Have you experienced perhaps some tingling in the legs? Relax, it’s called restless legs syndrome. It is a common neurological condition among pregnant women. Here we explain in detail what it is.

restless legs syndrome

During the third quarter, especially towards the final stages of pregnancy, is the time when many mothers experience the so-called restless legs syndrome. The woman can perceive a tingling sensation in the extremities that may, on occasion, become sensations, even painful coming to feel burning to cold in the affected area.

The place can be felt this tingling can vary from one to another pregnant woman. For some women the area where is located the twins, for others in the calf, while other women experience such tingling in the thighs, arriving to affect, in some cases, other areas above as, for example, the arms.

But this neurological condition presents many unknowns as, for example, its cause. The origin of restless legs syndrome in pregnancy is still unknown; however, in 70% of patients is a random process, even though it has detected the existence of a family relationship. In the various studies which have been carried out is established genetic link, however, the remaining 30% has been observed relative to a previous pathology.

Usually these associated processes cause a transport of iron deficit into the brain, generating a loss-making synthesis of certain neurotransmitters. Indeed, during the months of pregnancy reduce iron levels in the blood, due to increased requirements thereof. This can trigger the process of restless legs.

Consequences of restless legs syndrome
Symptoms of restless legs disorder include limb movements, motor restlessness, nocturnal worsening of clinical concern, as with the rest and, on the contrary, and improvement for activity.

All these symptoms causes a difficulty in falling asleep, even wandering at night or rubbing the legs or roll over in bed to alleviate the discomfort. Consequently appears widespread exhaustion during the day, irritability and mood worsening of the pregnant woman. But what can you do to combat it?

  • Acquire a proper sleeping pattern establishing a regular schedule.
  • Practice proper exercise to your state.
  • Do not consume caffeine during the day.

If these remedies are not enough, visit your doctor to request a complete analysis. The physician must determine whether treatment with folic acid, iron, magnesium and vitamin B12 to improve your quality of life in the final trimester of pregnancy.