Share on FacebookShare on TumblrTweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+Share on LinkedInDigg thisPin on PinterestBuffer this pageShare on StumbleUponShare on Reddit

Knowing the hair growth cycle helps to know when to have a laser hair removal treatment or to better understand of hair loss. Today we tell you the hair growth cycle explained step by step.

hair growth phases

It is important for us to know the phases of hair growth. Now that the good weather is approaching, we start to worry more about hair and start thinking about hair removal methods for the summer. Knowing the process can, for example, perform laser hair removal at the right time or use inhibitory products after depilation, thus contributing to the disappearance of hair. To better understand how to develop the growth phases, we are going to explain the cycle of the stage of hair growth step by step.



Hair Growth Cycle Step by Step

Hair grows in the hair follicles, the growth activity of each follicle is independent, that is, not all hairs grow at the same time. Each follicle, individually, goes through 3 phases of growth:

Anagen Phase: This phase determines the final length of the hair (varies according to the location of the body). Approximately 85% of the scalp follicles are in this phase. The hairy stalk goes up by displacing the hair that is in the last phase, this way the new hair appears on the surface and begins its growth. If you are thinking about getting a laser hair removal treatment you have to know that at this stage of epilation it will be more effective.

Catagen Phase: This phase stops the growth process and usually lasts about three weeks. At this point, the production of pigment, melanin, ceases.

Telogen Phase: The follicle begins to prepare for the expulsion of the hair, i.e. the phase of the fall. 1% of the hairs that are in this phase are detached each day, between 50 and 100 hairs. When you touch your hair or lose your ponytail you are horrified to see that you have lost hair and you begin to think that you have a fall problem. As you see, that case is completely normal, these are hairs that fall to give rise to the new ones that are being born. Once this phase is over, the first part of the cycle, the anagen phase, begins again.

Hair Growth: Factors that Influence

Genetic Factors: Androgenetic (hereditary) alopecia is produced by the action of androgens on the follicles that are genetically more predisposed for it. In addition, it seems that the cycle of hair growth varies according to the geographical areas of the world. For example, women from India have a much broader hair growth phase than Western women, so their hair stays much longer.

Local Factors: Have you ever wondered why your hair falls less in summer? The heat increases cellular vasodilation and metabolic activity, hence the reason why you used a spectacular mane in summer. On the contrary, it seems that in the spring and autumn seasons, hair tends to fall, in addition to entering the catagen and telogen phases so that it may look thinner and without volume.

Endocrine Factors: The action of hormones has a direct effect on hair loss. During pregnancy, for example, our hormone level causes the hair to remain in the anagen phase so it grows more than normal. The problem comes after pregnancy when the hair passes suddenly to the telogen phase, with the consequent hair loss.

Stress: Emotional and physical stress due to several factors can affect the health of your hair, precipitating its fall and shortening the time of the growth phase. In addition, when we are stressed, increases the fat secretion of the scalp, clogging the hair and favoring the capillary desquamation.

Every year the hair is renewed

There is an extended belief to think that our hair is renewed every 7 years. However, the hair renewal time cannot be accurately determined, since each hair has a single growth cycle to the rest. In fact, it seems that the studies indicate that a capillary hair can take in renewing between 1 to 3 years. However, a time of 7 years is established because it is estimated that it is the period in which it would take to renew all the hair of the head.

In fact, as it is a circular process, there are no exact limits on our hair growth. As some hairs grow, others enter the descent phases. It is estimated that 85% of our hair is in the analogous phase, that is, in the stage where the hair is constantly growing, between 1 and 1.5 cm per month. While the other 15% of hair is already mature hair, it has stopped growing and is preparing to fall at any time. When a large part of that percentage of mature hair matches over time, our hair can look much thinner and without volume.

As you can see, hair has a natural cycle but there are also many external factors that condition its fall. Do not obsess about hair loss, maintain a balanced diet and a healthy lifestyle, these factors also influence your hair and your capillary health.