Blisters on feet are small, painful and annoying bags of fluid that form in the upper layers of the skin. The fluid inside a blister is called a serum or plasma, and although it is usually light in color, it can also be red if the blister is filled with blood, or yellowish green if it fills with pus, indicating an infection.
What to do to prevent and, above all, to relieve the discomfort that causes blisters? In this case, we can dip into natural remedies, which can be an excellent ally to keep protected at our feet from the feared blisters, especially if you’ve just released premiered the pair of newly purchased shoes.
Causes of blisters
Most of the time, the blisters on toes are caused by misuse of the footwear, either because these are too big and tend to cause friction between the foot and the shoe, or because it presses and subjects the foot to excessive pressure. In addition, it can also appear when new shoes are released and the fact is that inside these it is the perfect environment for a blister to form.
Another of the most common causes to lead to the appearance of these injuries is exposure to extreme temperatures, high or low, or the exposure of the feet to chemicals such as cosmetics, detergents or solvents…
There are also many other possible causes of blisters:
- Rubbing or friction
- Bone spurs or exostoses
- Exposure to chemical substances
- Allergic reaction
- Pinch of the skin
- Health States
- The perspiration of the foot
- Fungal infections such as athlete’s foot
- Medical conditions such as dyshidrotic eczema, chicken pox and herpes.
Symptoms of the blisters
If the blister is forming, it is likely to be noticed, if not the main symptoms that may indicate that a blister is forming on the foot are:
- Pain in the area where it is forming
- Redness of the skin
- Lifting the skin
The appearance of blisters is a pending task for any, so we leave you some practical advice and very useful to prevent its appearance:
Suitable shoes: Shoes should not be too tight but not too loose, you have to find the perfect size for the foot. It is imperative that you try your shoes or slippers before buying them, walk with them in the store and check them with comfort. Knowing the number is not enough since each manufacturer makes them in a different way. Not tightening the cords much will help us avoid blistering.
Avoid pro-ampoule footwear: No matter how beautiful it is and very well that it is worn, sometimes we exert too much pressure and friction at our feet with certain shoes, which translates into this type of chafing. High-heeled shoes or flip flops are some clear examples of common footwear for the appearance of blisters.
Soften the shoes: It is an activity that is worth before doing sports or if you are going to have a prolonged period with them. To ‘soften’ the footwear just use them at home for a couple of hours before taking them out for the first time, this way there will be enough time to adjust to the shape of the foot.
Change shoes: You should not wear the same pair of shoes or slippers several days in a row, it is best to change them as soon as possible. If it does, it also modifies the friction points of the feet and therefore the appearance of blisters will be more in any area will be more complicated.
Buy in the afternoon: It may seem silly but it is proven that the feet swell up to 8% throughout the day. The afternoon is the time when the feet are larger, so you should take advantage to buy the shoes since you will avoid chafing later.
Clean and dry feet: Leather, canvas or fabric are breathable materials that will help keep moisture out and allow the sweat on your feet to evaporate. To this is added the possibility of always walking without external agents: stones, twigs or sand inside the footwear will favor friction and therefore the appearance of blisters.
The socks: Consider socks made of synthetic materials that are quick-drying and that will promote humidity control. Maybe it’s smart to opt for padded sports socks or if the hiking route (or walk) will be great, even by placing a thin sock and on top a thicker one.
When choosing stockings, better fine and free of seams. They must be of the exact size of the foot, neither too long nor too short. To prevent the appearance of blisters also it is convenient to wash and dry your feet well, trim nails properly and choose breathable socks and shoes.
Lubricant or tape: if you are a person prone to giving birth to blisters, the remedy is better than the disease. For this, you can use lubricant, tapes or patches of adhesive material in areas prone to friction. In any pharmacy, you will find a wide range of products that suit your needs.
In addition, as soon as you feel any discomfort, it is important to wash the area with SOAP and water, apply an antiseptic and put gauze to protect the foot, especially when the blisters appear on the floor. All of these precautions help prevent swollen feet and the formation of open and infected wounds.
How to heal blisters
Blisters on the feet, sometimes, tend to recover almost in a spontaneous way, being sufficient in spite of choosing for more comfortable footwear. Wash your foot with water and soap is enough. The ideal thing would be to use a bandage to protect the area and, in some cases, it can help to puncture the blister softly to extract the liquid and to heal faster. In all of this, it must be careful not to cause infection. It is very important to disinfect the needle with alcohol before doing so.
If the blisters on the feet are very painful or have traces of blood inside, should immediately ask the doctor to avoid possible infection. Advice should always follow those suffering from diabetes or disorders related to the circulation. If we see an accumulation of pus in the wound or intense reddening of the skin is necessary to go to a doctor, because there is the risk of incurring a serious infection.
Natural remedies for foot blisters
Aloe vera is wonderful to treat endless daily problems. Do you have scratches and blisters on the feet? Do not hesitate, aloe vera is your great ally.
- It will be able to calm the pain and itching.
- It will scar the wound beforehand.
- The blisters will dry sooner and stop bothering you the next day.
To benefit from this treatment, it is enough to take 20 grams of aloe vera gel. It is the translucent paste that is in the center of the plant. Once obtained, apply it on chafing and blisters. Finally, cover this area with a gauze and allow it to act all night.
Baking soda, always effective for chafing and blistering
Do you want to cure your guts and blisters on your feet from one day to the next? Then take note of this excellent advice:
- Carefully wash your feet with a tub of hot water. To add to that 5 rosemary branches: it is an excellent anti-inflammatory that will also help you to eliminate any impurities or bacteria present in the blisters or chafing.
- Dry your feet carefully.
- Now take 200 ml of water and add 20 g of bicarbonate and 40 ml of hydrogen peroxide. Stirs well. It must be homogeneous.
- With cotton, generously moisten affected areas. Soak the blisters, chafing… Do it until you finish with all the treatment we have done based on hydrogen peroxide and bicarbonate.
- If you do it twice a day, the next day you will have the blisters already practically cured and you will hardly notice the chafing.
Simple remedy with garlic
This option is as effective as it is original. You only need three garlics and 100 grams of thyme. Do you want to know how to relieve your chafing and blistering on the feet in a seen and not seen? Take note:
- Heat 5 liters of water and drop 100 grams of thyme. This medicinal plant is very suitable to disinfect and reduce inflammation, so this first step is necessary to eliminate any impurities from the feet.
- Dip your feet in the water and relax for at least 20 minutes. Then, dry yourself carefully.
- Check your blisters, remember that if they are not very large it is convenient not to exploit them so that they do not become infected.
- What you’re going to do now is chop the three garlic into a mortar. Once well chopped, let them fall into two gauzes.
- You will apply this remedy with garlic in the area where have blisters or chafing. You already know that garlic is a great natural antibiotic and that it will help us to treat any wound or chafing.
- Allows it to act for 15 minutes, then remove it. You do not need to apply anything else or rinse your feet. We will let garlic’s properties act.