Some symptoms to suspect the causes of chronic diarrhea, an uncomfortable medical condition and need treatment to prevent that influence the emergence of other health problems. Diarrhea, in general, is an increase of the stool and the reduction of its consistency, caused by excess water. There are many causes that may be behind this health problem. It is considered chronic if it lasts more than a month or repeatedly reappears.
Diarrhea is one of the conditions that can range from mild to chronic and which, furthermore, may carry even other health problems, among them, and to which special attention should be given, the dehydration. The frequency varies with people, but if it persists more than four weeks or recurs often increasingly should consult a doctor to confirm the cause and apply the most appropriate treatment.
Chronic diarrhea causes
There are many causes that may be behind this health problem. Among the most common:
- Excess of digestive juices. This causes excess dilute the intestinal contents. Can be caused by stimulation of some tumors hormones.
- Lack of enzymes of the small intestine and pancreas, which are essential for breaking down carbohydrates (including lactose) and fat. This gap causes an increase in the intestine of substances that flush water from the blood into its interior. Excessive intake of laxatives may pass fluid from the blood to the intestine, so it is recommended to take in moderation.
- Intestinal mucosal injury. This can cause a difficulty to absorb some of the foods. A intolerant reaction to gluten (Celiac disease) or the removal of pate the intestine may also cause malabsorption.
- Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis cause inflammation in the intestines. Chronic diarrhea, in fact, is one of its symptoms.
- Increased bowel movement induced hyperthyroidism, by increased intestinal bacteria or irritable bowel pathology.
- Some drugs, prescribed for depression, diabetes, cardiac arrhythmias, or some antibiotics can also cause problems with diarrhea.
Stomach cramps and gas are the most common symptoms when the diarrhea is caused by a poor digestion of carbohydrates. Diarrhea usually clears up within three days following a fasting diet. When there is a problem of malabsorption of food this can lead even nutrition and weight loss problems. In this case, with the fast combat diarrhea also. When there is excess juice in the intestine associated with the problem is to avoid dehydration. Moreover, in these cases, follow the diet of fasting does not help at all.
When chronic diarrhea appears by inflammation of the intestines can come with fever and blood in the stool. Acceleration of the bowel movement usually causes diarrhea and abdominal pain does not go away with fasting.
If diarrhea is chronic, the first thing is to discover the cause that caused it. In addition to consulting the doctor there are other important tips, such as drinking plenty of fluids, to avoid being dehydrated – and delete of the diet only those foods that make your symptoms worse.