Superfoods: Benefits of Arugula for Health
Discover all the benefits of arugula, considered one of the superfoods for much more than its green color characteristic.
Its content in essential nutrients is one of the main benefits of arugula, one of the superfoods that improve your diet and your health. A versatile vegetable, of the cruciferous family, with which cheer the dishes (salads, vegetarian pizzas, pesto sauce …) with its intense aroma and slight spicy flavor.
Arugula contains glucosinolates, a substance that is considered a barrier against certain cancers, as well as beta-carotene and flavonoids, effective vegetable pigments. Discover the healthy reasons to bet on the green color as the protagonist of your diet.
What is superfood?
In terms of nutrition, a superfood is one that, even in small amounts, provides a high amount of nutrients essential for good health. Foods rich in vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, fiber and good fats. These foods include arugula, and by extension the family of vegetables, as well as seeds (sesame, chia, flax), nuts, fruit, olive oil and cereals.
Benefits of Arugula for Health
- Arugula contributes iron and vitamin C, being a food that favors the production of red blood cells and to include in the diet of people who are prone to anemia.
- Arugula is a vegetable rich in folic acid and B vitamins, essentially to maintain the mind and the brain in form and to prepare the premature aging. Arugula is a superfood that helps to maintain the active mind.
- Arugula helps to lose weight. Whether you’re on a diet or wanting to take care of your weight, arugula is a perfect food for its essential nutrient content and low calorie content (25 kcal per 100 grams). It is also a satiating food.
- Arugula is digestive. Thanks to its fiber content, it promotes digestion and stimulates intestinal transit, avoiding constipation.
- One of the lesser known properties of arugula is that it avoids bad breath and improves body odor. This is due to its high content of chlorophyll, a detoxifying pigment.
- Arugula is good for the liver. Because of its antioxidant, carotene and vitamin content, arugula helps to purify accumulated toxins.
- Arugula also protects the health of the eyes thanks to its content in zeaxanthin and lutein. Among others, it is good to avoid the appearance of the cataracts.
With what to combine the arugula?
The arugula admits countless combinations with other foods, as for example, with pineapple and feta cheese, with papaya and prawns, with roasted peppers, roasted squash or with bacon for a sandwich.