Female Hormones: What are they and what is their function?
Estrogen and progesterone are the two kinds of female hormones. What are they and what is their function? Female hormones are involved in many more aspects of health and the body than we think. We tell you why they are so important.
Female hormones, we hear constantly about them, but what are they, and what role they play in the functioning of our body, how are they formed? These are some of the questions that we will try to answer to better understand how our body works.
Female hormones determine the characteristics of a woman’s body. As noted, there are two kinds of female hormones and, thereafter, different types: estrogen and progestin. Among the first, the most important is estradiol, and among the latter, progesterone.
Female hormones are formed from cholesterol, in the cells of the ovaries that are grouped in so-called inside which follicles and mature eggs. During pregnancy, the way the placenta with the function of protecting the uterus. These hormones are also present in men, since for example the adrenal glands secrete, even in small quantities.
For the formation of hormones, it is necessary to stimulate pituitary ovaries with two others, the gonadotropes (FSH and LH). For these hormones are released, pituitary is stimulated again another hypothalamus releasing hormone (nervous system).
The amounts of hormones called gonadotropes vary throughout the menstrual cycle (28 days). Thus, during the first 14 days, favor the development of 6 to 12 follicles and stimulate the formation of estrogen, which is increasing the mucosa of the uterus and fallopian tubes to facilitate a possible pregnancy. At 7 days, only one follicle will grow, while the rest will atrophy. Approximately half of the menstrual cycle, levels of both hormones are elevated, especially LH, which favors the expulsion of the egg and makes our body to secrete estrogen and progesterone, which in turn increases the secretion of glands lining of the uterus and the fallopian tubes for a possible fertilized egg. In the event that the egg does not fertilize, the secretion of the two hormones drops abruptly, leaving condition causing the uterus and part of the lining breaks down and is expelled with blood (menstruation).
Female hormones function
From hormones classes let’s see what are its main features. Started by estrogen:
- During puberty increases the size of the female reproductive organs (uterus, fallopian tubes, vagina, ovaries) and appears breasts and hair in the armpits and pubic. Changes in which estrogens are involved.
- Estrogens also favor the formation and growth of bones.
- Estrogens stimulate the formation of protein.
- These hormones fat deposited under the skin and in the buttocks, breasts and thighs.
- Estrogens are responsible for soft and smooth texture of the skin.
- Favor the retention of water and salt.
- Reduce uterine contractions to prevent expelled if the egg fertilization.
- This hormone is responsible for developing breast cells that secrete milk.
- Increases the excretion of water and salt.