8 natural treatments for Vitiligo
More than 1.5% of the world’s population is affected by Vitiligo. Better known as leucoderma, Vitiligo is a skin condition resulting from the loss of melanin pigment. The melanocytes gland associated with the production of melanin is not able to function properly and white pigmentation show up in the skin layers.
While there is no other adverse affect of Vitiligo apart from making the skin look ugly, people may feel a level of intolerance to direct sunlight. In many cultures, Vitiligo is also considered a social stigma, making people opt for several types of medication. Here we give 10 natural treatments:
Note: People affected by Vitiligo have highly sensitive skin. It is thus recommended that any full-fledged remedy must be first tried on small skin patches to avoid any severe condition of infections and allergies.
- Don’t get stressful: Stress has surprisingly been found to trigger genealogical imbalances which in turn promote Vitiligo. It is necessary that the affected person stays away from any depressing or stressing (both mental and physical) activity and opt for creative pursuits. Recommended lifestyle changes would be yoga, meditation and other exercises for relaxation. If this will not cure Vitiligo, it will surely stop it from spreading.
- Psoralea seeds: A traditional cure for leucoderma has been psoralea seeds soaked in the juice derived from tamarind and ginger. A time tested medication, psoralea has the power to replicate sun tanning effects and skin color restoration. The soaked seeds need to be dried and removed of their shells and grounded into powder form. One gram of the powder is to be taken daily with milk and also applied to the affected skin patches.
- Red clay: Red clay, basically found on river beds is rich in copper and is known to promote re-pigmentation of the skin. Traditionally, red clay is mixed with ginger juice and applied on the patched daily. While the copper content facilitates re-pigmentation, ginger promotes the blood flow in the spot.
- Radish seeds: Radish seeds too have been found to be an important cure for Vitiligo. 40 grams of overnight soaked seeds need to be mixed with vinegar and the resultant paste is to be applied on the skin. Allow the paste to dry on the skin, wherein it will drop off as scales. White arsenic is also an alternative in this case.
- Basil leaves with lime juice: Basic leaves have anti-ageing and anti-fungal attributes and is known to promote the formation of melanin. An effective and cheap home remedy, the paste needs to be applied three times a day for 6 months before results begin to show up.
- Turmeric: Mixed in mustard oil, turmeric is another natural medication that helps cure Vitiligo. The oil soaked turmeric needs to be boiled and the resultant liquid can be stored to be applied every morning.
- Neem Leaves: Neem leaves can either be taken as a juice or eaten whole for natural treatments Vitiligo.
- Walnuts: Another powerful healer is walnut. Soaked in water and grounded to a paste, it can be applied on the affected area for sure-shot results.